To mark La Monnaie’s new production of Die Zauberflöte, several of the most important institutions in Brussels will present original work by and a number of events with the Italian artist.
To mark La Monnaie’s new production of Die Zauberflöte, which will see Romeo Castellucci offering his personal vision of Mozart’s masterpiece, several of the most important institutions in Brussels will also be opening their doors to the Italian artist for the creation of original works and the staging of a number of events. As part of this programme, Castellucci will be making an artistic intervention in the BOZAR rooms during the course of the first monographic exhibition to be dedicated to Theodoor van Loon – the seventeenth-century Caravaggist painter from the Southern Netherlands – and he will also be presenting La Vita Nuova, a new performance-installation that will take place in co-production with BOZAR at KANAL-Centre Pompidou.
Romeo Castellucci will also be the first guest artist to feature with an unpublished artist's “carte blanche” notebook in La Monnaie’s new edition of its magazine, MMM, and will be evoking his passion for cinema with his own “carte blanche” selection of films at Cinematek.
Over a period of several months, with this exceptional presence featuring at so many of the city’s landmark locations, this great European director will be Brussels’ very own artist-in-residence.
- Die Zauberflöte at La Monnaie, from 18 September
- Romeo Castellucci et l’opéra, with Romeo Castellucci and Peter de Caluwe, debate moderated by Nicola Sani, Istituto Italiano di Cultura Bruxelles, 17 September, 19:00
- Theodoor van Loon, a Caravaggist Painter Active in Rome and Brussels, at BOZAR from 10 October
- La Vita Nuova at KANAL-Centre Pompidou from 28 November
- “Carte Blanche: Romeo Castellucci” at La Cinematek, September (date to be confirmed)
- “Cahier d’Artiste” in La Monnaie’s MMM magazine (September–October)